Got a question, press inquiry, idea to share or story you’d like to pitch? Contact us through the form below and let us know how we can help.
Not sure where to start? See more details below on what and how to pitch or get more information about advertising on the show (through PRX) and website (through Nectar Ads). Please note: we do not have any job openings or internships available at this time.
Other ways to k.i.t.
How to Pitch a Story to 99% Invisible
Have a story that you think could work for our show? Freelancers have helped make 99% Invisible great, and we are happy to consider your ideas for episodes or articles. Please do let us know if your suggestion is just an idea you would like to share or if you are a reporter looking to produce an episode.
A few suggestions for would-be pitchers:
- We tend to go for stories that inspire wonder and/or reveal something surprising about the built world. We tend to avoid stories about things that are cool in their own right or pieces that are more about an amazing individual than an incredible design. We look for the cool thing inside of the boring thing.
- Our “cardinal rule” is “no cardinals” (i.e. no stories about nature or science; we focus on things built by humans.)
- When you pitch, it is helpful if you know who you would like to interview for the piece and even better if you have already gotten in touch with them and have a sense of what they will say. It is also good to propose a few potential scenes and an overall narrative arc for your story. You do not need to know how it ends or offer any a grand explanation for what it all means, but you should be able to convey a richness of detail to get us to care about something we otherwise would not have thought twice about.
- Tell us a bit about yourself and your experience level. Are you a veteran reporter? Just starting out? Where are you based?
- Please keep your pitch to 3-5 paragraphs, written in the body area of the contact form above.
We do read every single pitch. Seriously. If we think it has potential to work for our show, we will get in touch with you, though it may take some time (current turnaround time is 2-3 weeks).
Ready? Use the contact form above to send us your pitch, and be sure to select “Reporter Pitches” from the drop-down menu. Please also be sure to include your phone number.