Jobs at 99% Invisible
Producer Position Summary
99% Invisible is looking for a talented and driven Producer to join our team. The show’s offices are in beautiful uptown Oakland, California, but this person can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S.
With over 500 million downloads, 99% Invisible is consistently one of the most popular podcasts in iTunes. The podcast is hosted by Roman Mars, and is the newest addition to Stitcher, the world’s largest pure-play podcasting company, now part of SiriusXM. 99% Invisible is looking for a talented and driven producer to research, pitch, report, and produce for the show. We’re seeking someone with an eye for great stories, an interest in decoding the built world, and a commitment to our goal of expanding the diversity of voices on our show.
For this role, we’re also looking for someone with some editing chops. While this is mainly a producer role, this person will also edit other producers, both on-staff and in a freelance capacity. The multifaceted nature of this job will give the Producer the opportunity to work across all aspects of our production process and thus have a big influence on the show. As a producer, this team member will generate story ideas, conduct interviews, cut tape, write narration, and voice it on air. As an editor, they will weigh in on pitches, oversee construction of stories, develop relationships with potential collaborators, and bring in new voices and diverse perspectives to the show.
The position will report directly to the Executive Producer.
- Research story ideas, and write concise and compelling story pitches for 99% Invisible
- When producing a story, participate in all aspects of the process, from pre-interviewing guests to booking, interviewing, cutting tape in Pro-Tools, building drafts, and writing scripts that are well-structured, well-written, and in “the voice” of 99% Invisible.
- Participate in pitch meetings and help decide which stories 99pi will pursue.
- Serve as primary editor on episodes of 99% Invisible, guiding the reporting process, listening to tape, giving feedback on outlines, managing deadlines, editing early drafts of the script, and liaising with the fact-checker
- Edit and mix in Pro Tools
- Participate in group edits and provide editorial feedback on episode drafts.
- Edit companion web articles
- Promote episodes on social media and other channels
- 3+ years experience producing narrative journalism, some editing experience a plus
- Demonstrated writing ability and journalism skills
- Solid foundation in editing audio, Pro Tools a plus
- Audio omnivore
- Works well under pressure
- Sense of humor a plus
For complete details about Sirius XM and Company benefits, click here.
To apply for this position, click here.
Senior Audio Engineer Position Summary
99% Invisible is looking for a talented and driven Senior Audio Engineer who will work remotely with the hopes of joining the team in Oakland California when it is deemed safe.
With over 450 million downloads, 99% Invisible is consistently one of the most popular podcasts in iTunes. The podcast is hosted by Roman Mars, and is the newest addition to Stitcher, the world’s largest pure-play podcasting company, now part of SiriusXM. Stitcher started as beloved comedy podcast network Earwolf and now via Midroll, provides ad sales and distribution services to 300+ shows such as WTF with Marc Maron, Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations and many more. With Stitcher, SiriusXM is on a mission to transform podcasting into a major part of the media landscape, and is always looking for like-minded enthusiasts to help.
The Senior Audio Engineer will be part of the growing team responsible for recording, mixing and sound designing primarily 99% Invisible shows, as well as working on Stitcher’s growing roster of podcasts, which range from weekly host-driven shows, to richly sound-designed storytelling, to complex investigative serials. In addition to ensuring that the highest quality audio is captured and delivered, you’ll collaborate with hosts and producers, help to maintain a pleasant, organized and efficient studio environment, and ensure that our listeners always enjoy great-sounding audio.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as one Word or PDF document.
Duties and Responsibilities:
What you’ll do…
- Record, edit & mix 99% Invisible.
- Collaborate with 99% Invisible Director of Sound and Stitcher producers to provide creative sound design.
- Occasionally, as time allows record, edit and mix Stitcher original podcasts
- Provide support and training to the content team in Pro Tools and recording best practices. Foster deep trust, reliability, and good relationships with hosts, producers and others.
- Collaborate with the Stitcher audio engineering team in the management of production and operational workflows and maintaining digital archives to the highest industry standard.
- Integrate with 99% Invisible team to help maintain and operate Oakland, CA audio production facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years experience working as an audio engineer on podcasts or broadcasts.
- Experience mixing documentary-style podcasts, including narration, interviews, field recordings, archival tape, and music. Especially looking for experience cleaning and repairing noisy or low-quality archival audio.
- Highly experienced with recording studio equipment including mixers, microphones, mic preamps, near field monitors, and signal flow.
- Experience with creative editorial; making choices in cutting and arranging audio for pacing, narrative continuity and quality.
- Experience with remote home recording for podcasts or other media preferred
- Previous experience with field recording and field recording equipment.
Requirements and General Skills:
Skills & Abilities
- Very high-level experience with industry standard DAW software required, as well as familiarity with iZotope, UAD, Waves and other industry-standard 3rd party plugins.
- Significant creative experience in varied techniques of sound design, music arrangement and creative mixing
- Familiarity with generally accepted podcast loudness standards, and ability to deliver episodes at consistent loudness levels according to in-house specifications.
- Past success in a fast, efficient, highly organized and disciplined group, with proven ability to consistently perform in a high volume, fast turnaround environment.
- Nuanced attention to detail in audio and sound quality.
- Proficiency with Mac computers and macOS.
- Thorough understanding of on-demand audio space, engineering, recording, editing and arranging, signal flow, post-production, mixing and mastering for dialog, sound design and music.
- Adaptable to a fast-paced and evolving industry and workplace.
More details about our company benefits can be found here!
To apply for the position, click here.